The Data and Analytics team is focused on creating competitive advantage for IMVU and our customers through novel data infrastructure, metrics, insights and data services. We are a small but rapidly growing analysis and engineering team that builds and leverages state-of-the-art analytics systems. Our work informs decisions and direction for our business, while also impacting our products. The petabytes of data we store and the hundreds of GB of transactional data that we process each day provide a great opportunity to apply machine learning techniques to design powerful and meaningful experiences to our users.
We are looking for a seasoned Staff level engineer to not only build data pipelines to efficiently and reliably move data across systems, but also to build the next generation of data tools to enable us to take full advantage of this data. In this role, your work will broadly influence the company's products, data consumers and data scientists.
- Set and define the standards and best practices in data team
- Be the point of reference for solving a challenging technical problem
- Build and expand IMVU’s Data Platform’s Hadoop Open source Big data Clusters within an agile collaboration environment
- Observe the thriving open source projects in the descriptive and predictive analytics big data space and bring it into IMVU
- Must love coding – prepare to spend 90% of the time on hands-on development Deliver end-to-end applications and frameworks ranging from system programming to micro-services to simple front-end applications
- Security-first mindset to ensure that any software built will satisfy our stringent security standards
- Ability to own complete project or a subject area delivery while leading team members in a scrum setting
- Use your knowledge of Java, Go or Python to create new features in the cloud.
- Understand and influence logging to support our Data flow.
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related discipline
- 6+ years of experience in design and development of large-scale data platforms
- 4+ years of software development experience in Scala or Java.
- Expert in tools such as Spark, Airflow, Presto
- Expert in design and implement reliable, scalable, and performant distributed systems and data pipelines
- Expert in containerization, including Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with running large-scale distributed computing infrastructure such as load balancing, Zookeeper, Micro service architecture
- Experience with Columnar database such as Redshift, Vertica or Parquet
- Hand-on experience in optimizing existing Big Data applications written in Spark, Hive. Optimizing
- Experience in building Open source projects, contributed to open source projects and deploying into containers platform
- Good understanding of building utilization frameworks on Hadoop, AWS, Azure or GCP (Restful services, Self-service BI and Analytics).
- Worked on AWS services – Lambda, S3, Redshift, SNS (or Apache Kafka), SQS, Redis, Data-Lakes, and AWS cloud deployment models
- Strong communication skills with ability to present complex ideas and document in a clear and concise way
- Quick learner; self-starter, detailed and thorough
- Proactive sense of urgency and “can do” attitude
- A technical leader: you make intuitive decisions about what services, frameworks, and capabilities need to be in place before they are needed.
- Self Driven – able to own a project from inception to completion
- Mentor – open and active in sharing knowledge as well as excellent communication skills
- Experience with Free-to-play/social games
- AWS certified: Architect/DevOps/Big Data
Based in Silicon Valley, IMVU (imm-view) is the world’s largest friendship discovery and social platform, and a top 5 grossing app in the App Store, where millions of users customize their avatars and explore over 40,000+ destinations to connect with each other. Through chat and events, IMVU’s massive metaverse enables and empowers friendship and human connection. A community of hundreds of thousands of users power IMVU’s peer to peer economy by designing and selling virtual fashion designs and destinations, adding to a growing catalog of 50 million items. The IMVU experience is available on the web, a desktop app, and as an iOS and Android app.
Together Labs innovates technologies that empower people worldwide to connect, create and earn in virtual worlds. Our mission is to redefine social media as a catalyst for authentic human connection through the development of a family of products grounded in this core value. These include: IMVU, the world's largest friendship discovery and social platform; VCOIN, the first regulatory-approved transferable digital currency; and WithMe, an upcoming mobile platform built on insights from the science of friendship. For more information, please visit https://togetherlabs.com/
Founded in 2004 and based in the heart of Silicon Valley, Together Labs is led by a team that's dedicated to pioneering the virtual reality industry. Together Labs is backed by venture investors Menlo Ventures, Allegis Capital, Bridgescale Partners, and Best Buy Capital.
Together Labs (formerly IMVU) has been recognized frequently as Best Place to Work in the Silicon Valley.