- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience in product design for consumer electronics.
- Experience in static and dynamic structural FEA using software.
- Experience using real test data to cross-check and refine FEA models.
- Experience in Optomechanics.
- Experience in Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, and/or wearables.
- Experience working cross-functionally with teams (e.g., Electrical Engineering, Product Management, Industrial Design, Operations, etc.).
About the job
Our computational challenges are so big and unique we can't just buy our hardware, we've got to make it ourselves. Our Platforms Team designs and builds the hardware, software and networking technologies that power all of Google's services. As a Mechanical Engineer you design and evaluate our data center systems, identifying product requirements and contributing to research and project planning. From the chip to chiller, you are responsible for designing and optimizing an architecture that will scale with Google's continued growth.
With your technical expertise, you lead and manage projects, develop product and process improvements, provide consultation to others and help facilitate training and development.
In this role, you will help evaluate designs, providing key information on drop test performance and more. You’ll utilize system-level Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to produce early simulation models, working cross-functionally with Product Design, Reliability, and Materials teams to grow models into accurate and detailed simulations. You will communicate regularly to help teams understand results and work across all phases of product development, from early exploration to final execution.
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. Our Devices & Services team combines the best of Google AI, Software, and Hardware to create radically helpful experiences for users. We research, design, and develop new technologies and hardware to make our user's interaction with computing faster, seamless, and more powerful. Whether finding new ways to capture and sense the world around us, advancing form factors, or improving interaction methods, the Devices & Services team is making people's lives better through technology.
- Understand product context and collaborate to help inform where to focus your efforts.
- Develop FEA models using quality inputs, working cross-functionally to fill gaps as needed.
- Report your findings in a way that’s clear and actionable, and help to identify next steps.
- Work with Reliability teams to use real tests to validate and refine your models.