Topia is a network of customizable virtual worlds that allow users to connect with their community online. It combines playful world exploration with encrypted video chat for face-to-face interactions that are fun and feel more natural.
Topia helps communities bring people together and build stronger and more meaningful connections between its members through shared experiences.
We’re a small and remote team of passionate individuals who are committed to evolving the way that we socialize online. We offer market-rate salaries (including equity), a home-office stipend, health insurance, and other benefits.
At Topia, we have a backend that is a complex web of interlocking systems. We have a game server managing world-state, websockets publishing real-time events, WebRTC streaming audio/video between participants, a database and an API layer tying it all together.
Making these systems efficient and scalable is paramount to Topia’s growth. Every decision affects the future trajectory of the platform.
Help us design, code and launch great platform infrastructure features and improvements to take Topia to the next level.
- Write maintainable, clear, well-architected code, tests, and documentation.
- Architect, develop, and ship maintainable, performant, and testable backend that delights our users.
- Understand and influence backend decisions to drive better overall system performance.
- Drive engineering best practices.
- Work closely with the design team to implement backend infrastructures that support growth and our frontend features
- Proactively work to resolve bugs and incidents.
- Liaise with team to implement technical designs
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures
- Provide written knowledge transfer material / documentation
- Expand your industry knowledge (continued education).
- Experience writing performant APIs
- Experience with webrtc a plus
- Experience working with distributed systems
- Experience with Git source control
- Attention to detail
- Excellent writing and communication skills
We’re committed to building a culturally diverse team. We encourage every person who is interested to apply - you never know, you might just be the perfect person for one of our open roles, even if you don’t match 100% of the job description.