Facebook Reality Labs (FRL) is driving the industry forward by developing Virtual and Augmented Reality Products. The Director for the Metaverse TPM team is responsible for leading and growing the TPM team that drives development to achieve our full vision of the Metaverse. Currently the Metaverse is a collection of digital worlds each with its own physics to determine what’s possible within them. To bring the Metaverse fully to life, we need to build the connective tissue between these spaces – so you can remove the limitations of physics and move between them with the same ease as moving from one room in your home to the next. Our goal is to enable you to be together with anyone, to teleport anywhere, and to create and experience anything. You will be driving development of the environments, avatars and content, along with tools and processes necessary for cross company collaboration across Facebook Reality Labs and Facebook Family of Apps. The Metaverse TPM team needs a leader who is a great communicator and collaborator to drive awareness and buy in across all levels of the FRL and FB organization. The right candidate will possess a strong program management background, will have demonstrated experience leading large projects across multiple software teams, as well as building and growing an organization of TPMs. You will have a well-rounded technical background, with experience with developing operating systems for consumer device software. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to manage the team, develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done.
Director, Technical Program Management, Metaverse Responsibilities
- Responsible for people management of an organization – hiring, developing and implementing organizational structure, delivering performance reviews, providing continual feedback, coaching and career growth for direct reports.
- Scale the organization to support multiple fast-paced product categories.
- Articulate the technology, requirements, goals and milestones of your team.
- Work with engineering and product management leadership to define and revise the long-term strategy for the Metaverse software organization.
- Understand Facebook’s strategic and competitive position
- deliver products that are recognized best in industry.
- Work with the team to develop end-to-end project plans, influence teams to deliver against them, and keep the org and leadership informed on progress.
- Perform risk management and change management on projects.
- Drive internal process improvements across multiple teams and functions.
- Work with teams to set milestones, communicate project statuses, and identify/address potential setbacks.
- Work with engineering to ensure what we build has the right balance of cost vs. benefit, and focuses on addressing the highest priority partner team and customer needs.
- Serve as an evangelist for the team and overall culture, both internally and externally.
- 10+ years of experience with building and managing a team of Technical Program Managers.
- Experience building and leading a technical program management organization through design, delivery and commercialization of digital consumer experiences.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in growing organizations and developing a team culture.
- Communication and interpersonal experience, including relationship building and collaboration within a cross-functional team.
- Knowledge of software development processes and best practices.