Niantic's AR Operations team spearheads large-scale and experimental data collection projects that power and improve the industry-leading AR technology in our Niantic Lightship platform. This work is foundational to achieving our vision of a real-world metaverse that inspires people to explore the world together. If you're an Operations leader looking for a rare opportunity to be part of enabling one of the greatest evolutions in computing in our lifetimes, this could be the role for you.
As part of the Mapping team within AR Operations, you will play a critical role in building Niantic's 3D map of the world. This map will enable developers to create magical AR experiences that are accurately tethered to physical locations. In the AR Operations Manager, Mapping (AMER) role, you will establish and lead teams of field agents, called surveyors, to map high-priority zones in your markets. Alongside your peers in other regions, you will help us develop a global machine that produces high-quality mapping data on time and on budget.
- Create survey mapping roadmaps for your markets that incorporate input from Engineering and Product partners.
- Build a team of highly organized, reliable and proactive fixed-term Field Operations Specialists to coordinate day-to-day surveyor work.
- Work with vendors and Field Operations Specialists to recruit, onboard and deploy large teams of surveyors to deliver your roadmaps.
- Analyze the quality and efficiency of your teams’ output. Make changes across people, tools or processes to deliver the highest impact improvements at pace.
- Solve in-the-field issues that your team are not able to handle independently.
- Lead a special project that supports global surveyor mapping work, in line with your personal development goals and team needs.
- Previous leadership experience in rapidly scaling a people-powered operation with a significant outsourced workforce.
- Exceptional project planning and management abilities. You naturally think several steps ahead to identify and mitigate risks.
- Pragmatic approach to process design. You exercise good judgment to design elegant, not overengineered, solutions.
- Skilled in root cause analysis. You are highly motivated by optimizing operations from first principles.
- An unfailingly consistent ownership mentality. Colleagues can rely on you completely to get the job done, no matter how complex it is.
- A high-energy approach to work. You move at pace and are never a blocker.
- Open-minded. You genuinely appreciate the value of diverse opinions and are skilled at bringing them together to create better outcomes.
- Clear communication style. You always provide the right level of detail and leave no room for ambiguity.
- A management style that combines compassion with an analytical attitude. You set a high bar and inspire and equip your teams to meet it.
- Previous experience of data collection operations and/or field operations.
- Previous experience working on a mapping product.
- Previous experience collaborating with highly technical partners.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Harry Potter:Wizards Unite. Our developer platform, Lightship, launches soon.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.